June 27, 2010
A Maillot is a one piece bathing suit and was first used in the 1920s to describe tight fitting swimwear. Remember, bathing suits in the earlier part of the 20th century looked more like sundresses with full skirts and sleeveless styles.


Usually when I see the word "Maillot" to describe a bathing suit I imagine a strapless or heart shaped bust bathing suit or one with vintage inspired details such as ruching at the waist. To me, a Maillot is synonymous with the bathing suit styles of the 1950s.


Now a days we just call it a one piece. But if you want to be a bit more fancy, you can say you're planning on sun bathing in your gorgeous maillot bathing suit instead of sunbathing in your one piece. *hehe*

Image credits: 1.] Vintage Maillot Advertisement by Catalina Swimwear, 2.] Yellow Maillot With Matching Swim Cap, 3.] Maillot Pin-up at the Beach, 4.] Modern Maillot, 5.] Vintage Inspired Maillot, 6.] Anthropologie.com

14 comments:

  1. I have to wear a one piece and ended up making my own from the lack of affordable ones for my college budget, though the anthropologie one on the left is really cute with this 1940's print, though I doubt it will give me full butt coverage as a real maillot would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the first image - don't you think they look more like corsets than bathing suits? I love the pink one that's a little puffy on the waist. But they are all amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures!! I wish one of this suits *__* i don´t have the idea of the name

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first picture is ameizing!
    xoxo


    http://bymoonlightlullaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your blog and I love the Vintage! It's a shame i am 47 years old. That's why I started
    my own blog with Vintage appropriate for women my age. Take a look if you're interested! http://vintagelein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! I just started a new painting series of vintage women in these suits! I might have to do one like the yellow suit! Jennifer:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I am after a one piece for my honeymoon later this year, some great inspiration here, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These images are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favourite blog in the whole wide web.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I would pay for a pair of those ♥
    I have to make them myself, I can't get them anywhere here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautifull blog, very nice! going to follow you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought a maillot and I love it. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice swimsuit but summer is gone.


    Laby[black suit]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a little comment, I do try to respond back as often as I can. Have a lovely day! xoxo - Rodellee